The world’s first self cleaning glass
Viridian Renew™ represents the latest development in glass technology. The special dual action Renew coating helps keep glass free from organic dirt, saving time, money, water and detergents – all associated with window cleaning for the life of the window. Cleaning costs, especially those associated with large buildings over the life of the building are significant. Renew provides a quick payback on investment.
Renew has a specially developed, completely transparent exterior coating. This is applied during manufacture to clear glass, producing an innovative dual cleaning action. Once exposed to daylight it reacts with the UV rays to breakdown and disintegrate organic dirt deposits such as bird droppings and tree sap. Secondly, when water hits the glass, Renew has a hydrophilic quality that assists in washing dirt away without leaving spots or streaks.
During dry spells and cloudy days Renew will continue to break down organic dirt but the lack of sufficient rainfall may prevent the hydrophilic washing.
Renew works continuously with dirt being washed away whenever it rains. The coating can take between five to seven days after glazing to activate.
Renew can be combined with other glasses such as a solar control laminate (Viridian VLam™) or insulating glass unit (Viridian ThermoTech™) for thermal comfort.
Renew can be used in almost any exterior application. It can be installed at any angle ranging from vertical or sloped roofs of no less than 10.° Ideally 30° is recommended. It is especially useful for inaccessible windows or windows that are unsafe to clean and where dirt collects, such as roof lights.
If rain does not normally reach the glass, dirt deposits are less likely to be washed away and may need more regular hosing. Renew is not suitable for interior use.
- Only approved sealants can be used in structural silicon or weather seals. Careful attention to window design and selection is required.
- Gaskets for the window system must be neoprene or butyl based tapes.
- For areas that have ‘hard water’ and/or sea salt spray, special attention to selection is required. Please consult with Viridian™ for recommendations.
- Renew is a self-cleaning product designed for organic material deposits on glass. It is not effective at breaking down salt deposits or other inorganic materials. It is therefore not recommended for use in coastal or high salinity areas where salt film build up is an issue.
- Transparent with virtually identical properties to clear glass of the same thickness.
- Durable – the Renew glass coating uses Viridian pyrolitic coating technology. It can be laminated, toughened, curved and incorporated into ThermoTech and is stored and handled in the same way as normal glass.
- Renew can be incorporated with virtually all Viridian solar control, ThermoTech and decoration glass.
- Laminated for safety and noise reduction.
- Saves cleaning time and costs
- No need to access high or unsafe areas
- Reduced water and detergent use
- Range of laminated and insulating glass options, providing energy management
- Added safety and security with reduced noise