Enjoy your neighbourhood with less noise.
ComfortHush™ is an acoustic performance glass, which also features a durable Low E (low emissivity) coating. It is available as a 6.5mm Grade A laminated safety glass that uses a special 3-layer acoustic PVB laminate that is specifically designed to reduce sound transmission. The inclusion of a durable Low E coating also provides improved energy efficiency performance, by helping to keep a home cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
The majority of Australian homes have ordinary 3mm glass in their windows, which is a poor performer when it comes to sound reduction and energy efficiency. To help make a home the sanctuary it should be, Viridian has engineered ComfortHush™ to reduce unwanted noise entering a home, whilst providing improved energy efficiency performance. ComfortHush™ provides a 6dB improvement compared to ordinary 3mm glass* found in many residential windows. In fact, ordinary 3mm glass would need to be at least three times as thick to offer the equivalent sound reduction as ComfortHush™.†
Addressing a noise problem
The best way to solve a noise problem is to address it at its source. If this is not possible, then products like ComfortHush™ help address the paths noise takes when entering your home.
Typically the weakest point in a home is the windows. Installing windows with good acoustic performance needs to be supported with the careful selection and insulation of walls, floors and roof materials to enhance the overall acoustic performance of your home. It is essential to ensure that all other paths in the exterior of the building have also been sealed. It is advised that ComfortHush™ be used in conjunction with those building products that have been carefully engineered to reduce external noise intrusion into homes, control and dampen sound within homes and improve the overall acoustic performance of homes.
Reduce the transmission of noise
There are three things that occur when sound waves encounter a window.
- They may be reflected away, causing little concern to those inside the home.
- They may be absorbed through dampening and dissipated, causing little concern to those inside the home.
- What isn’t reflected or absorbed is transmitted through the window by vibration or air leakage.
Ordinary glass can vibrate at the same frequency as the noise source, allowing sound to penetrate through the window. ComfortHush™ includes a special 3-layer laminate that has been specifically engineered to reduce vibration, making it effective in reducing urban noise.
Reduce Air Leakage
Cracks, crevices and even the most minute gaps will greatly reduce the performance of windows by providing opportunities for sound to travel through. It is critical that ComfortHush™ is used in combination with a carefully selected window frame that is well sealed to significantly reduce air leakage. Many window manufacturers make and test windows designed to improve acoustic performance and energy efficiency. It is important these windows are professionally installed to reduce air leakage by ensuring a good seal between the exterior of the window and the wall it is being installed into.
Make a sound decision on frames
ComfortHush™ fits into most single glazed window frames. However, to avoid noise leaks, you need to ensure that ComfortHush™ is installed in a frame that’s well sealed and professionally fitted. If the frame isn’t sealed properly then ComfortHush™ can’t work to its full potential.
Features and benefits
- ComfortHush™ can be installed into most single glazed window frames
- ComfortHush™ provides up to 39% better insulation than ordinary glass‡ resulting in a more comfortable home and energy savings all year round
- ComfortHush™ is a Grade A safety glass and helps to protect your interior furnishings from fading by eliminating 99% of Ultra Violet (UV) light
* Based on comparison of weighted sound reduction index (Rw) of ComfortHush™ and 3mm annealed float glass. † Based on comparison of weighted sound reduction index (Rw) of ComfortHush™ and 10mm annealed float glass. ™Trademark of CSR Building Products Limited.